Creating & Managing Canvas Course Spaces
On this page
Instructors can create a course space in Canvas using the following process in EEE+ GrandCentral:
- Request a course space in EEE+ GrandCentral
- Wait approximately one hour for the request to be processed (you will receive an email notification when the course space is ready)
- Access the Canvas course space via MyEEE
Course space models
If you are the instructor of record for more than one section, you have two options for the configuration of your Canvas course space. If you would like to discuss the options that are available, please let us know.
Multi-Section (Combined) Course Space
Multi-section course spaces combine the students, content and course activities into a single course space.
Example: Imagine that you are teaching History 1, including a lecture section and 3 discussions, each led by a TA. In this model, you would have a single course space, History 1, which would include all of your sections. Your 3 TAs would have access to view the students in their section as well as record grades for them. However, they would also have access to all course contents, including quizzes and other materials.
Single-Section Course Space
Single section course spaces sequester students, content and course activities for each section into an individual course space. Course materials can be copied between course spaces, but materials are not shared.
Example Imagine that you are teaching History 1, including a lecture section and 3 discussions, each led by a TA. In this model, you would have 4 course spaces – one for the lecture, and one for each of the three discussion sections. This would allow each of your TAs to create content, including quizzes, discussions, etc. for only their sections.
Comparison of course space models
|Combined Course Space||Single-Section Course Space|
|Description||One course space per course, with all sections||One course space per section|
|Section combination||Could include any combination of lectures, discussions, labs, seminars, and more||Includes only one type of section (roughly analogous to how courses are configured on EEE Legacy)|
|Student access to content||Students in all sections access the same content||Students individual sections can access custom content|
|TA access||By default, TAs can see all students in all sections (Note: You can submit a request to limit TA access to individual sections only)||TAs see only the students enrolled in their specific section|
|Gradebook display||Instructors and TAs see all students enrolled in all sections, or see students enrolled in only a single section||Instructors and TAs see all students enrolled in a single section only|
|Assignment deadlines||Custom deadlines can be set for all students, individual sections, or individual students||Custom deadlines can be set for individual sections, or individual students|
|Group configuration||Group membership can combine students in any section||Group membership includes only students in a single section|
Which course space model is right for me?
If you are not sure which course space model you should choose, you can either use the questions included below, or let us know. We would be happy to talk more with you about how your course might fit into these options.
|Question||If the answer is yes, consider this model|
|Is the content (i.e. documents, pages, links, etc) for each of the sections the same?||Multi-section course space|
|Are the assessments for all sections the same?||Multi-section course space|
|Do your TAs need to customize the web presence for their sections?||Single-section course space|
|Can any group work in the course include students from multiple sections?||Multi-section course space|
|Should students see and interact with students in only their own section?||Single-section course space|
Create a Canvas course space
Instructors can use EEE+ GrandCentral to request a Canvas course space containing one or more sections using the following process:
- Open EEE+ GrandCentral If you have not already logged in, please do so
- Press + Create Canvas course space
- Verify the term
- Click the checkbox next to each class you want to include in the course space
- If multiple classes are selected, you will have the option to create either one multi-section (combined) course space or multiple single-section course spaces.
- If only one class is selected, you will create a single-section course space
- Review the title of the course space and click Edit if you would like to make changes (Note: You can use the following characters in the course title: letters (i.e. a-z, A-Z) numbers (i.e. 0-9) : - ( ) ‘ , & and space)
- Press Create course space
Your requested Canvas course spaces will be created in approximately 1 hour. You and all other instructors will receive an email confirmation once the course spaces are available.
Add a new section to an existing Canvas course space
If you determine that you would like to associate an additional course code to your existing Canvas course space, you can do so within EEE+ GrandCentral.
- Open EEE+ GrandCentral If you have not already done so, please login
- Click Add section
- Click the checkbox next to the section(s) that you would like to add, then click Next
- Review the request, then click Add section to course space to request the change. *You can press Back if you need to make any changes to the request*
The request to add a section will now appear in the Pending Actions table at the top of the page.
This request will be processed in approximately one hour, and your existing course space will be modified to include the additional section(s).
Missing a course?
View the status of a Canvas course space
EEE+ GrandCentral provides a listing of all of your Canvas course spaces that have been requested. Each Canvas course space is shown with its name, current status, enrollment count, instructor count, the option to manage people, and a list of classes or sections in the course space.
Once the request to create a course space is made by either you or another instructor of record for a course, the course space will be listed in the Pending creation table.
Once the Canvas course space requested is finished processing, the course space listing is updated to reflect its unpublished state on Canvas. To access your course space, click the name of the course space or click the Go to course space button.
Once the course space is published, the course space listing will be updated to reflect its published state on Canvas. To access your course space, click the name of the course space or click the Go to course space button.
Cancel a request
If you need to cancel your request for a course space or delete an existing course space in Canvas, please let us know.
We will need the following information:
- Term (i.e. Fall Quarter 2015)
- Course Codes (i.e. 99109) or department and number (i.e. MATH 101)
How to restrict access to my course after the term?
You can prevent students from accessing and participating in an UCI Canvas course space after the term has concluded using a combination of options within the course settings.
The following two configurations need to be set:
- Course End Date
- The checkbox next to Users can only participate in the course between these dates must be checked
Canvas Guides provided by Instructure
- What are the different states of a Canvas course?
- How do I change the start and end dates for my course?
Get additional help
- Phone: (949) 824-2222
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online: Using the Help menu in the lower left corner of the screen, press Contact Us.
|Erik Kelly||Vanessa Yieh||Zachary Zahringer|
|Interim Instructional Support Supervisor||Technology Support Specialist||Technology Support Specialist|